The Rastatt City Museum was founded in 1895. Since 1973, the collections have been housed in the baroque palace of the so-called Vogelsche Haus at Herrenstraße 11.
Municipal collection was initially stored in the castle
Today's City Museum was founded in 1895 as the Municipal Collections by an honorary archive commission. Initially housed in temporary premises, the institution was given exhibition rooms in the castle in 1928 - despite times of economic hardship. In the early 1930s, the Municipal Collections were renamed the "Heimatmuseum".
New home in baroque city palace
in 1973, the museum was given its own building in the Vogelsche Haus, a baroque city palace that had been extensively renovated for this purpose. in 2003/04, the house was modernized and the permanent exhibition was redesigned.
Exhibits of cultural and historical importance to the history of the city
In the founding period, the honorary directors limited themselves mainly to archival collection items. At the beginning of the 20th century, the city acquired an extensive archaeological collection from Seltz, as well as a militaria collection with objects from the Franco-Prussian War of 1870/71, which unfortunately was completely lost. In the last 20 years, donations from the citizenry and new acquisitions have made it possible to expand the collection with exhibits of cultural and historical importance to the history of the town.
Leitung: Johanna Kätzel
- Do, Fr, Sa: 12 bis 17 Uhr
- So u. Feiertage: 11 bis 17 Uhr
- Gruppenführungen nach Vereinbarung
- Erwachsene 3 Euro, ermäßigt 1 Euro
- Gruppenführung 40 €, an Wochenenden u. Feiertagen 50 € (max. 20 Personen)
- Freier Eintritt mit dem Museums-Pass-Musée