City history at a glance
Many important historical events such as the Peace of Rastatt and the Baden Revolution shaped Rastatt in the past centuries. Landmarks of the city to this day are two castles that date back to the reign of the Margraves of Baden-Baden. Since 1956, Rastatt has been a large district town, the largest town in the district of Rastatt and an important business location between Karlsruhe and Offenburg. More than 50,000 citizens from 127 countries now live in the baroque town
The first documented mention of Rastatt is found under the name "Rastetten" in a manuscript of the Hirsau monastery from the year 1084
in 1203, a church was first mentioned in Rastatt. This is the Bernharduskirche of today.
King Ruprecht of the Palatinate grants the village market rights in 1404. The market develops into a preferred trading center for Alsatian wine. Rastatt therefore still bears the wine ladder in its municipal coat of arms today
Margrave Ludwig Wilhelm of Baden-Baden, who ruled from 1677 to 1707, decided in 1700 to expand his initially planned hunting lodge into a modern baroque residence: today's Rastatt Castle was built. Around 1700, Rastatt then receives its town charter
The Rastatt Residence Palace is one of the earliest German examples of the imitation of the Palace of Versailles. In 1705, Margrave Ludwig Wilhelm of Baden-Baden moved into the side wing of the palace with his family. Ludwig Wilhelm died only two years later in January 1707, and from then on his wife Sibylla Augusta ruled the country as regent for 20 years.
in 1714, Rastatt is the scene where European history is written. It was here that the Peace of Rastatt ended the War of the Spanish Succession, in which all the major European powers had been involved since 1701. The venue for the four-month peace negotiations is Rastatt Castle.
With the extinction of the Baden-Baden line, the margraviate fell to the Protestant Baden-Durlach in 1771.
1797 till 1799
The new state government under Margrave Karl Friedrich takes various initiatives to promote Rastatt's economy. These include hosting the Rastatt Congress, which meets in the castle from 1797 to 1799, or founding a carriage factory.
The Court of Justice and later the Middle Rhine District Government also take up residence in Rastatt. Thus, in the first half of the 19th century, the city of Rastatt develops into a prosperous center of authority
Rastatt becomes the capital of the Murg district and garrison of the German Confederation.
In 1842, the construction of the Rastatt Federal Fortress begins. For the city of Rastatt, this meant a deep cut in the city's development. The cityscape and also life in the city change fundamentally. The authorities move away, the economic development is henceforth very limited and strongly dependent on the military.
On May 1, 1844, the Karlsruhe-Rastatt rail line was opened. The Rastatt-Oos section follows on May 6.
in 1849, Rastatt is the central scene of the Baden Revolution. With 5,500 men, a large part of the revolutionary troops retreated into the federal fortress from July 1 to 23, while outside the Prussians besieged the fortress. On July 23, the revolutionaries capitulate to the Prussian besiegers.
in 1890, the fortress is abandoned and subsequently largely demolished. With the defortification, Rastatt becomes an open city again. New industrial companies come to Rastatt and bring prosperity to the city.
First and second world war
The First World War and the world economic crisis put a stop to the economic boom in Rastatt. Unemployment, housing shortages and poverty characterize life in the border town in the coming decades. During the Third Reich, Rastatt once again becomes a garrison town and only narrowly escapes its destruction in World War II.
After the war, French soldiers move into the barracks and shape life in the town until their departure in the 1990s.
On September 15, for the first time after more than 12 years of dictatorship, the population elects a city council consisting of 12 men according to democratic principles.
The so-called "R astatt Trials" against responsible persons of the German Reich during the National Socialist era take place in Rastatt Castle before the French Tribunal général. Until 1949, 235 trials against National Socialist officials are held; until 1954, there are still appeal proceedings before the Tribunal supérieur.
Since the first of April 1956, Rastatt has been a large district town.
The town twinning with Orange in the French Provence has existed since 1965.
In the course of the municipal reform in the 1970s, Niederbühl, Plittersdorf, Ottersdorf, Wintersdorf and Rauental are incorporated.
In 1984, Rastatt became twinned with New Britain in the USA.
Two years later, in 1986, the twinning between Rastatt and Fano in Italy is signed.
The relations of the city of Rastatt reach as far as Brazil. Since 1988, there has been a sponsorship with Entre Rios in Brazil.
in 1991, Rastatt enters into its fourth town twinning with the Czech town of Ostrov (formerly Schlackenwerth).
As a farewell gift to the departing French soldiers, the international street theater festival "tête-à-tête" is held in Rastatt for the first time in 1993. To this day, it remains a highlight in the city's cultural calendar.
With the opening of a Daimler AG plant in 1997, Rastatt becomes an important location for the automotive industry.
in 2001, the city of Rastatt expands its connections abroad. Woking in England is now the fifth twin town.